August already...approaching 6 months of ownership of the crack house, I really
feel like I am behind. Everyone is assuring me that I'm making progress,
but it seems slow.
- August 6-8, 2004. I've finished installing interior doors for the bathroom
(entry and closet), both bedrooms on the first floor, and the hall closet. I
see that Menards has doors on sale again this week, so I may have to buy a few
more. I've also put on doorknobs, hardware, etc.
- I've finished supporting most of the rafters in the roof. There are four or five
left over the front bedroom that I haven't gotten to yet. I've also added two
new rafters over the bathroom this weekend to take some load off. This basically
involved pushing a 12' 2x4 up into the ceiling, anchoring it on both ends, etc.
It only took about 20 minutes per rafter and the roof is really starting to look
flat now (no more sags! no more sags!)
- Now that all the work is done in the roof over the bathroom, I've started
drywalling the ceiling. I had to level the rafters with furring strips because
they were all over the place, so the ceiling would have looked slanted. At this point,
I've hung half the ceiling (a 4x5 sheet of drywall). I installed a vent fan
in this portion of the ceiling. I'm covering the bathroom walls with tileboard
where the tub will go.
- I've started wiring the front bedroom. I need to jack this room up a bit
before putting in drywall.
- All the drywall is done in the hallway. I'm also working on the arched
doorway between the kitchen and hall. It was pretty much devoid of plaster
when I bought the house, and I've had to re-construct it using small pieces
of drywall, and a lot of drywall compound. It's coming along. This picture
shows the arch before any work, looking from the kitchen at the bathroom door.
- Here's a shot looking down the hallway toward the front bedroom:
- I'm working to install some mouldings around the front door. I had to cut
back 2-3" of aluminum siding so I could add some vertical mouldings, etc. That
made a heckuva lotta noise (I used a spiral saw with alumimum cutter bit). It
was pretty awful. It's looking better now.
- August 20-22, 2004. Things are really moving along in the bathroom now.
I've finished the roof joist repair above the bathroom, and put in a new drywall
ceiling. I also installed and wired a bathroom exhaust fan above the tub area.
On Saturday, I installed a new bathtub. This was a bit of a pain, especially
moving and installing alone, but I got it done. The drain plumbing is done,
but none of the supply stuff is done. I've also drywalled the majority of the
rest of the room, and installed the medicine cabinet. Here are some photos
(the quality sucks, it's such a small room you can't get good photos in there):
- I'm also making progress on re-plastering the arched entry between the
hall and the kitchen (you can see into the bathroom a bit in this photo as well):
- I've begun doing a little work in the kitchen. I'm building a pantry in the
corner, the kitchen cabinets will then attach to this and move on down the wall.