I have all the hardware, but I haven't gotten around to putting in on the cabinets yet. They really need another coat of paint, some sanding, and perhaps a coat of clear poly.
I've finally closed up the wall that had been torn open since I bought the place:
They ripped open the wall to add a pass through into the living room beyond. I had to re-route the heating ducts, and build supports into the ceiling area. Here's a few pictures along the way:
Somehow I forgot to get a picture of it all done -- but is it is! Trust me!
I also installed a range hood above where the stove will go:
I was shocked and frankly, angry. This house has made consistent progress over the course of the last year, and had they never bothered me, it would have gotten done. Instead, they decided to pick on me, when there are other properties in the same block falling apart, and in much worse shape. However, there wasn't much I could do but knuckle under and try and get as much of this work done as quickly as possible. I contracted out the replacement of the high roof on the west side of the house. It didn't leak, but it looked horrible, and I knew I could not resell the house without having this addressed, so I had it done. It turned out well. I enlisted the help of Ky to get the gutters and soffits on that side of the house replaced. It took us 8 hours, but it ended up turning out quite well. Here's a few pics:
On my own, I replaced the gutters on the front porch:
Here's the front of the house in early September '05 (does this look like a house that the department of health needs to be worried about?):
The back of the house, however, did look pretty rough:
There was an old screen door that was busted up. The back door was a solid wood door, heavily weathered. The windows were inoperable. Someone nailed a gutter onto the roof, instead of hanging it on the edge. It was full of debris. I took that down, and then had to fix the shingles under where it had been. I added new gutterboards, replaced the windows, and replaced the back door. This little addition was not framed well...the door opening and windows actually sits under the eaves a little too far..it looks weird. The siding on the left of the door is not level, I may go back and fix that. I added a piece of siding under the windows and painted it to match (I had stolen it to do a repair somewhere else earlier). I hung a new gutter in the correct place. It does look a lot better.
I took a sledge hammer and whacked all the concrete out. The blocks came next. I dug down a foot and realized that there was no footer under the block -- it had simply been laid on dirt! This explained the sag. The dirt settled, foundation sagged and cracked, etc. I jacked the corner of the house up about 3" because it was sagging so far, and built a footer under the corner. I then re-laid new block into the opening, and mortared it together. I turned out OK, I think, considering I'm not an expert at this. The new block was slightly smaller (maybe 1/2") than the old block, so the joints are a little bigger. I think if you painted it or placed a shrub in front, you would not even notice it. The new block does look pretty obvious now:
That's it for now.....hopefully back on schedule of more regular updates!