Sorry for the late start on the June blog (June 14th already!).
- June 4th-6th, 2004. A few things got done. I re-replaced the front door. I
had originally bought a pretty plan steel front door and put that in. Well, I needed
a steel door for the back as well, and a nicer door with a half-circle style
window went on sale at Menards. So, I bought the nicer door, put that in the front,
and when I get around to it, I'll put the older one in the back.
- I've also painted over all the gang grafitti in the living room, and have
framed in the opening between the living room and kitchen with new wood and trim
moldings. Once the front of the living room is re-drywalled (I plan to cover it
with 1/4" drywall as opposed to fixing all the holes), the living room will
actually be looking pretty good.
- Destruction in the bathroom continues. The tub is out and some walls are
coming down (lots of plaster). I've also run electricity to the
bathroom so I have lights now in that room.
- June 11-13, 2004. All the plaster is out of the bathroom (hallelujah!). I think
I'm going to leave the lathe strips on the walls and just drywall right over them.
I can't see any disadvantage to this, and the advantage is that it cuts down on
- I made a decision to go ahead and pull the ceiling out of the
bathroom as well. I had planned to keep it, but it is just getting in the way.
I took it down with a crowbar (it was just a sheet of drywall). This gave
me the opportunity to see what it looks like in the attic (side note: I have yet
to find any way to access the attic...strange, eh?) As it turns out, the attic
is pristine...I see almost no problems up there, aside from the fact that there is
NO insulation! Groan! The plus side of all this is that I can now access the
two bedroooms from above, so I can re-wire the grungy old light fixtures.
- I replaced the bathroom window. Like the front window, this was a bit of a
chore. It took about 30 mins of destruction (hammer, crowbar, etc) to get the old
window out, and the framing was awful. I took all that out and re-did it. Here's
a picture with the window out, and I am starting in on the framing:
- Here's the finished product, after about 2 hours. These windows are kinda strange...36x24 sliders
fit, the old ones were so trashed they just didn't work at all. It ended up ok
(still need to paint the new wood though):
- Here's what it looks like in the bathroom now. Note that the window doesn't
look level -- it is! It's just the rest of the house that isn't level. Once
the window is trimmed properly, it will look fine. Most everything is out of
the bathroom except some trash and the floor, which is next.
- June 18-20, 2004. On vacation! No work accomplished :(
- June 25-27, 2004. Back from vacation, work continues. I returned to find
that someone had stolen my front lamp. Took it right off the front of the house (sigh).
I guess that $20 lamp was worth stealing, I'll bolt the next one on really well. Most
lamps like this have only a couple of decorative screws holding them on, and you could
get it off with using any tools. I hope
whoever stole it got a helluva shock when they un-did the electrical connection (
it has power 100% of the time).
- I hauled a load of drywall and plywood down on Friday. This was something of
an accomplishment for me. A 4x8 sheet of plywood or drywall won't quite fit
in the Hyundai wagon, unfortunately. So, I bought some tie-down straps and the
load went on the roof. I made a sandwich of it, a sheet of plywood on the bottom,
5 sheets of drywall, then another sheet of plywood. It worked well (sorry I don't
have a picture). The drywall is for the living room and bathroom, and the plywood
for the new bathroom floor.
- I've ripped out and replaced half the bathroom floor. Once the other half is
done I can lay down cement board, level it, and get on with putting down the
marble floor. I also need to get a bathtub in there (first, I guess).
The blue thing is the toilet drain/flange with a rag stuffed in it. I decided to
wait to do the second half of the floor until I had a rotary saw to cut this hole
out in the new plywood subfloor. Menards has one on sale for $49.99, plus it
can cut drywall (that would be handy...the drywall saw/knife is great, but
takes much longer than a power tool would!)
- I began drywalling the front wall of the living room. There was considerable
damage to this wall when I bought the house, made worse by me cutting some holes in
it to wire in some outlets and a switch near the front door. The plan, instead of
removing all the plaster and lathe, was simply to cover the wall with new 3/8" or
1/2" drywall. This would make the room slightly smaller (like anyone is going to
notice), but frankly, is much easier than taking the wall down to the studs and
then putting the drywall on. Below is a photo of the front wall, about half done:
- You'll notice the screen door is sitting in front of the window, with a 2x4 bolting
it against the window. This is my feeble way of keeping someone from breaking in.
Should they break the window, they'll then have to figure out a way to get through
the screen door!