- March 27, 2005. I haven't written much in awhile, because things have been
kind of stop and go depending on how the weather has been. I've actually accomplished
more than I thought, especially during February and early March. While there is no heat
in the house, I found that I could get a few things done, though it was often bone-chillingly
cold in the house. Here's a few things I've gotten done since the last time I wrote.
- Bathroom floor. I've leveled the bathroom floor by laying a thin cement slab.
The floor was really not level, and any tile laid down would look horrible (believe me -- I tried).
So, I thin later of cement went down, and I screed it level using L-shaped wood brackets on the
walls. This actually worked quite well, but mixing up the cement was a chore. The floor
is now ready for tile:
- Bathroom painted. I've finished all the drywall work and painted the bathroom. It's a nice
shade of light blue, which will look great with the gray marble floor. This picture isn't great,
but you can get an idea of the color (you can also see it in the photo above of the floor).
I also painted the ceiling, just the usual ceiling white:
- Kitchen cabinets. I've bought all of the kitchen cabinets, and have begun installing them.
They are just a simple birch cabinet from Lowe's, but I will paint them and dress them up a bit:
- Drywall second floor. I've been hanging drywall on the second floor. The plaster
was falling off the lathe in many places, and it would have taken forever to try and
patch it all. It was much easier to just install new 3/8" drywall right over the top
of the old stuff, giving the whole room a "new" look. There are a lot of weird
angles up there, but it's coming along. Here are a few pictures of the work in progress, anything
that is blue is the old plaster, the white/gray is the new drywall
(I won't do the ceiling, it's ok):
- Plumbing. I've started re-doing the plumbing. I need to get the pipes in before I can
really finish up the bathroom, plus it would be nice to have a toilet and sink working at
some point. The old plumbing was galvanized steel, and in very poor shape. It all has
to come out. I was able to cut into the old galvanized line right after the water meter
and put in a dielectric union, and then start plumbing with new copper:
- I'm still jumping around quite a bit, just depending on what I feel like working on.
At some point, this is all going to start coming together...