September....holy cow, I am way behind on this project!
- September 3-6, 2004. Well, it's Labor day weekend, and I did do some laboring..about
four hours Friday, four hours Sunday and and an hour or two on Monday (I got tired!).
I did some electrical work in the bathroom, got the light fixtures wired, put a
GFCI in, etc. That took some time. No new pictures, forgot the camera, sorry.
- I've finished the pantry I built in the kitchen, just need to finish with
the drywall joints, etc. Starting to think about cabinet placement, and how
to get them in the house, etc.
- I've cleaned out the front bedroom and bought enough drywall to do it. I
also have all the windows. First, I need to fix the foundation under the front
corner of that bedroom. Once that is done, that bedroom will be ready to work on.
I need to get cracking on that...
- September 10-12, 2004. Ky came down to help with re-building the front porch.
The porch had a nasty sag in the middle, and the metal supports were rusted through.
I decided to add a column in the middle to fix the sag, then replace the outside
columns as well. I decided on 4x4's, which I will then clad with another wood,
paint, etc. I think that wooden columns much more closely match the character
of the house than the metal ones which looked to be from the the 1950's or 1960's.
This project went well, and quickly. We added the middle column, taking out the sag,
quickly followed by two outer columns. Here is what it looked like after the
new columns were in:
- We also put new panels on the underside of the porch that covered the old,
falling apart wood:
- It's always nice to have help (thanks, Ky!):
- September 17-19, 24-26, 2004. I spent a lot more time on the porch
on both these weekends. I finished cladding the new columns with new wood
and gave them a coat of paint. I've replaced all the soffits and put in
new alumimum soffit material. I had some paint mixed up in the current
color of the house so I could add a fascia board across to make it look
more correct. Here's a few pictures of the progress (it's still not done
as of this writing -- but at least it doesn't lean anymore!):
- Though I've mostly been working outside, I have been doing more work
in the bathroom. I'm creating a tile surround for the bathtub out of 6" x 6"
white tiles. Believe it or not, this will be slightly cheaper than buying
(and somehow modifying) a tub surround. It's also been quite fun. I'm not
happy with the way this window intrudes, though. It seems as though it
will get wet, rot, etc. I'm not sure why they installed a window in the middle
of the shower, so I'm thinking of ideas on how to deal with that.